Thursday, May 31, 2007

I'm Tired, Too

Recently, SWAC Girl posted a “letter” that purports to be from an American soldier who says he’s “tired” of the lack of support from his countrymen for a war he says “we are winning.” I’m sure this particular tidbit is quite popular among belligerent militarists like SWAC Girl and her Reactionary friends, but it turns my stomach, whether or not it's a legitimate letter. And you know what? I’m tired, too.

I'm tired of spineless politicians, both Democrat and Republican, who lack the courage, fortitude, and character to admit that we made a colossal mistake by invading Iraq.

I'm tired of the hypocrisy of politicians who fabricate evidence in order to win support for a war that is unjustifiable, just because they want to earn a place in history.

I'm tired of the so-called “patriots” who would deny the right of Americans to speak out against a policy they find wrong and dangerous, and who cannot see that America's behavior in the Middle East is making things worse, by driving a new generation in the arms of terrorists, thereby making the world are far more dangerous place than it was.

I'm tired of a biased segment of the media that refuses to recognize the hundreds of thousands of people whose lives have been destroyed by American arrogance in the Middle East.

I'm tired that military leaders think you can impose a democracy on anyone by military force.

I'm tired that so many ignore the sectarian rift in Iraq that our presence has made deeper and that is likely to undermine the legitimacy of any government we may manipulate into power.

I'm tired of the belligerent militarists who claim that dissenters are traitors; that is a mark of fascism and I’m especially tired of fascism.

I'm tired of lies about antiwar protesters, about so-called radical organizations that merely want to educate Americans about their shameful government's actions, and I’m also tired of a military, taking orders from civilian leaders, that tortures its prisoners. That's not the American way.

I'm tired that my generation is still so arrogant that they think America rules the world and can make everyone else behave like us. Peace will only come when we stop treating the rest of the world like our servants.

I'm tired that some who point to the mistreatment of our soldiers when they are captured and claim that our own misdeeds pale in comparison, forget the point that we claimed moral superiority in the first place. An enemy's evil does not justify your evil.

I'm tired that the belligerent militarists believe the media are not reporting the news; it’s there, day after day--the good, the bad and the revolting--but they blame the media for their own poor image, caused by their own mistakes, and so refuse to see it.

Mostly, I'm tired that the people of this great nation didn't learn from history that there is no substitute for humility. We have embarked on Empire building and through our arrogance we have turned the world against us, just as the world turned against Rome and England. It will be our downfall.

No comments: